Week 13 Story: Riddles and Reason

Image result for riddler
(The Riddler from Wikimedia Commons)

Author's Note: Inspired by the section we have had this week based on riddles, verbal puzzles, and paradoxes, I chose to spend some time coming up with a few riddles of my own to share with everyone. I have always enjoyed riddles and brain teasers, so it makes me happy to share a few of my own on here. At the bottom I'll list the answers in order so that people can see if they're right or not!


---

I am one, we are two,
As I move, so do you.
In the light, by my side,
In the dark, run and hide.

What are we?

---

What a bore, what a bore
That loudness that's in store
Positively agitating
Could even drown out a war
Restful? Hah, please!
It sounds like angry bees!
Buzzing away the night and day
My mind is not at ease!

What is the riddle about?

---

Deep, deep, deep
A sign of restful sleep
Deep, deep, deep
After counting sheep
Deep, deep, deep
A body well at ease
Deep, deep, deep
Not a cough or a wheeze

What am I?

---

I am absolutely attainable, but always out of reach
Your priests mention me often, about me they preach
You will never reach me, at least no time soon
You prefer to kill others, with things that go boom
I represent an idea, you represent death
You do harm to others until nothing is left
You could enjoy my fruits, my bountiful beauty
You prefer weapons, and violent shooting
I long for you to find me and end all the pain
I fear that my longing will all be in vain

What idea does the narrator represent?

---

Believe me please, we've got to go
To a wonderful place I know
All your desires high and low
Pleasure and joy from head to toe
Why you ask? Cause I told you so
Ignore my looks, they're just for show
The wildest dreams you've had we'll sew
Come along and then you'll know
Believe me please, we've got to go

Who is talking here?

---

Answer Sheet: 

The first riddle's answer is "A person and their shadow."
The second riddle's answer is "Snoring".
The third riddle's answer is "Deep Breaths."
The fourth riddle's answer is "Paradise."
The fifth riddle's answer is "The Devil."

Bibliography:

  • Inspired by Riddles from The Nursery Rhyme Book by Andrew Lang, accessed through UnTextbook)

Comments

  1. Hello Jacob! This is so incredible. How long did it take you to write out all of these rhymes and riddles? I think this may be the most creative "story" I have read in this class thus far. I got all but one of the riddles correct! The idea to make this "story" so immersive was awesome because unlike a lot of other stories I have read, I did not zone out at any point. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jacob! The riddles idea is one of the more unique ones that I've seen, you did an awesome job writing them. I second Muneeb's comment, I'm curious how long they took to write, as I know it would've taken me forever to get them written that well. It also seemed like they got more challenging as you progressed down the list, which I assume was intentional. Even if it wasn't, it worked out perfectly. Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Math Majoring Gamer

Week 14 Story: The Businessman, the Crook, and the Bobby